Thursday, September 4, 2014

I Rather Be An Outsider...

Outsider (Poem)

I’d rather be an outsider.
The world is throwing this stuff at me making me an angry writer.
Now I turned my words into a weapon, guess that makes me a fighter.
We gotta be a light in this world so I’m holding up my lighter.
Girls clothes get tighter, Cause they know where our eyes set, 
I’m losing sight of my goal, I shouldn’t see them as objects.
-
SNAP OUT OF IT.
The world says to be proud if it.
I should be astounded, gosh I wish I was grounded,
cause they way that I’m crashing it’s like horns of Jericho just sounded.
On the outside I seem to have it all together like Ron Burgundy,
But on the inside I don’t know why there’s hurt in me.
Should I follow the world? Or should I follow what’s true?
Sometimes I get sick of rhyming things.
Because I wonder what’s going on inside of me
The fruit of my sinfulness is ripening
It’s like I’ve replaced God with this poetry.
As if it’s the thing that’s been holding me,
I think it’s just controlling me.
whenever I mess up, it’s just an outlet.
But I keep trying to recharge my soul like it’s a power outlet.
I forget to take the power out of what I consume.
Because if I let it get a hold of me I know that I’ll lose.
They are telling us what to do, like, “HERE, put on these shoes!”,
And they’re brainwashing our kids too, heck probably through Blues Clues.
I know that I’m a liar. 
I wish my morals were higher.
Oh well, even if I fail my heart won’t stop. I’m still an outsider.

(By Luke Boyd)




     In light of Lecrae’s new album coming out, I have been fan-girling over the past week. It’s a great piece of art and I totally recommend picking it up. Anyway, what really hit home with me out of the whole album is the first song, Outsider. The idea is, even though the world says this, and even though the world might want us to just have fun, I rather be an outsider. I rather follow what I know to be true. It brought me to a whole new stance because I had really been struggling with the world. I had been wanting to be accepted by them, because I thought that is where I could find my happiness.
     That’s why I am completely in love with this term, “outsider”. As I am gearing up for college, and frankly as I live my life now around people that are not saved, it is tough not to follow them. I don’t want to say, “Yeah, sorry I’ve never been drunk, I can’t relate.” or, “No… I am saving that for when I am married.” There is a fine line between engaging with non-believers, and accepting and following how they live. I want to be friends with everybody, but I can’t compromise my standards to please everybody. I can either follow the world, or follow Jesus.
     To follow Jesus isn’t very popular anymore. Christianity is on the rise, but following Jesus is on the decline. I must be an Outsider. We must be Outsiders. I know that if we followed what the world does, we could have lots of fun. But pleasure isn’t the goal of life anymore. We are called to fight sin and proclaim truth until they day we die. If that makes me an outsider, then so be it. If I get weird looks and have no friends, so be it. I love people, but love isn’t a synonym for accepting. 
     And as my life living independently grows closer and closer, I am determinded to not be another 'church drop-out' statistic. My faith is only getting stronger, and God is only making me bolder. I encourage you to fight along side with me. I’m going to love people, and love God. Let’s wear our scars out loud and make a difference. Be okay with living outside.

My name is Luke, 
I am a white kid who loves rap and poems, I write down my thoughts and sometimes they rhyme, I will fight sin and proclaim truth until the day I die (see, that kind of rhymed, right? No, k…) 
...and I am an #Outsider.

No comments:

Post a Comment