Thursday, August 14, 2014

If I Were To Die Tomorrow...

-Another insert from my book-

If I Died…
     If it came to it that I died today or tomorrow, I want everybody to know that I never gave up. Regardless of the temptations thrown at me, I keep pressing on. Regardless of how many times I stumbled, I got back up, and pressed on. I want my family to know that I loved them and would take a bullet for every one of them. In fact, I want every person I have ever come into contact with to know that I would have died for every single one of you. I doesn’t matter if I knew you or not, I can honestly say I would die for you. If I died tonight, I know that I will be at peace with God. Maybe I won’t live to be an old man. My life could end in an instant. This should scare non-believers to the core. The beauty of Jesus is once you’ve accepted Him, it doesn’t matter if you die. I know that I’ve messed up in every way possible. Jesus saved me now suddenly I’m worthy! If I die tomorrow, I want people to use the love I showed as fuel to never give up.
     Be weary, those that seem to have this “God” thing figured out might burn in Hell the next day. There’s fakes and there’s the people who don’t believe at all. They throw this all aside like it really doesn’t matter. But just like Jesus, I’m going to put my all in preaching to a world who hates preachers.
     When it comes down to it, this world really doesn’t matters. It will all fade away eventually. Where are you going when that happens? Have you been the guy who signed a paper and got baptized, but never grew in your faith? It’s time to man up, because this is all that matters. Your grades don’t matter. Your looks don’t matter. Basketball doesn’t matter. Football doesn’t matter. That job you covet really doesn’t matter. Use your life preparing for eternity. Others opinions will soon fade away. Your house will be wiped away, along with your body. What lasts forever is your soul. The best thing you can do here on earth is build relationships. Don’t wait to take Jesus as your savior; He is standing there with arms wide open. All you have to do is run to them!
Only Two Ways
      In the story of the cross, when Jesus was being crucified, there were also two others beside Him. What this story breaks down to is a perfect analogy of what will happen to everyone at the end of their life. One of the men hanging there beside Jesus cried out for forgiveness, and said he believed that what Jesus said was true. Because of the man’s repentance, Jesus said “You will join me in paradise.” No matter what you have done, or what stage of life you are in, you can always be forgiven. No sin is too great to out-weigh what Jesus took on that cross.
     The problem is, you don’t know if you’ll die in your sleep tonight, get shot walking somewhere, or die instantly in a car crash. It could happen, and it would be too late. The other end of the story is that the other man next to Jesus didn’t care. He was angry and full of hate. Jesus didn’t beg him to repent. He won’t beg you either. When the two men died, one went to eternal bliss, and the other to eternal torture. If Hell is the opposite of Heaven, and Heaven is full of goodness, what do you think will be in Hell? For me, I don’t care what is there, because that’s not where I’m going. Where are you going?
Your definition of failure affects your entire view on God.
     I remember growing up and hearing all these amazing stories of a God that did all these great things for people. They made it seem like He was a magical fairy who sits up in Heaven waiting to hear just the right words before giving the people what they want. People used to say “I’ve been praying about this for years now and I don’t know why He won’t answer me!” My response is, maybe your personal comfort doesn’t matter. Maybe even though you do everything the spirit tells you to do, you won’t get anything in return (physically at least). I propose that being a “prayer warrior”, in the sense that you just pray for the same thing (wording it different each time) for hours and hours, really does nothing at all. He wants us to bring our struggles to Him and ask him to make sense of them, maybe if it is His will, He’ll give us what we desire. Even in the Lord’s Prayer, Jesus says, “Your will be done”. If someone close to you has cancer, you should be asking God for His will to be done. Perhaps dying and going to be with God is a better solution than your selfish desires. I’m not saying you’re wrong for wanting something bad to go away. I completely understand that in that moment we just want it to go away. I’m saying we should be asking God to take what we don’t understand, and use it for His glory. However, we have a big tendency in this day and age to think we know as much as God.
     How do you view a prayer that goes unanswered? Let me assure you that God didn’t fail or forget. If we view getting what we want as “success” then, we need to change. If “failing” is not getting what we want, then God fails a lot. He gives us the choice to choose what He wants and knows is best, or to choose what he doesn’t want. Regardless, he stills gives us the choice. Scary thought, right? “Luke, you can’t say that! God is perfect!” That He is, so what gives you the right to define God’s failure or success at all? The only failure here is us failing to see the bigger picture. God doesn’t give us all the answers, and is in no way required to.
     Just like children don’t understand why they can’t go to the park by themselves, we question God like we know what’s better. If we start being followers, and stop being the annoying guy that always gives his irrelevant opinion, we can find a lot more peace. When we see that the story isn’t about us, but God’s ultimate triumph over evil, suddenly our problems don’t seem that big anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment